Scar revision surgery is meant to minimize the scar so that it is more consistent with your surrounding skin tone and texture.
Scars are visible signs that remain after a wound has healed. They are unavoidable results of an injury, acne, or surgery, and their development can be unpredictable. Poor healing may contribute to scars that are obvious, unsightly or disfiguring. Even a wound that heals well can result in a scar that affects your appearance. Scars may be raised, thickened, recessed, or even different in color or texture from surrounding healthy tissue. These changes can make them more noticeable. There different types of scars. For example, based upon various factors some people are prone to forming hypertrophic scars or keloids. Thickened, raised or wide scars can form based on the ratio of collagen your body produces during healing. There a multiple scar remedy options available to improve the look of a scar.
Your treatment options may vary based on the type, location, and degree of scarring and can include:
- Surgical revision which includes cutting out the old scar, changing its orientation, and even location by rearranging tissue
- Using precision and fine suturing techniques
- Topical or injectable therapy using scar creams, silicone sheets or steroid or chemotherapeutic injections
- Compression garments can help with scar remodeling from a burn
- Radiation therapy is a great option we offer to reduce the recurrence of a keloid scar
- Modern techniques in fat grating can change the appearance of sunken scars
- Scar removal laser treatments can lighten the color and smooth thickened scars
- Soft tissue fillers can be used to fill small depressions
Always remember, although scar revision can provide a more pleasing cosmetic result or improve a scar that has healed poorly, a scar cannot be completely erased.
Regardless of how your scar developed if your unhappy with the appearance our team has a scar treatment option for you.